An eggcorn is a special kind of malapropism that makes a certain amount of sense. The word "eggcorn" is itself an eggcorn of "acorn"—because an acorn is shaped something like an egg. Other examples include:
- old-timers' disease instead of Alzheimer's disease
- feeble position instead of fetal position
- self phone instead of cell phone
- internally grateful instead of eternally grateful
- rebel rouser instead of rabble rouser
- cold slaw instead of cole slaw
To see (and contribute to) a long list of eggcorns, visit the Eggcorn Database.
Are there any eggcorns that you use or notice? Please share!